PSU 5th Avenue Cinema
NEW PRIORITY DATE: Apply by March 7, 2014
Job status: 15-20 hours/week
Weeks: 40 weeks/year
Start Date: March 14, 2014
Compensation: $9.35 per hour
5th Avenue Cinema is a student-operated service within Portland State University’s Student Activities and Leadership Programs. The cinema screens an eclectic selection of camp, cult, classic, and contemporary independent and mainstream films. Our goals are to provide further education for PSU students interested in film as well as a fun place for people to see something they wouldn’t ordinarily get to see on the big screen.
The Publicity Coordinator fulfills publicity and marketing duties as assigned by the Cinema Coordinator. In collaboration with the projectionists and cinema coordinator, the candidate participates in the Film Committee decision-making process regarding film selection and betterment of the Film Committee and 5th Avenue Cinema. The candidate must also be interested in and available to work a weekly box office shift during showings and attend weekly staff meetings. Otherwise, the position allows for schedule flexibility and independent work to fulfill publicity duties. As a staff member of the cinema, the Publicity Coordinator is also responsible for maintaining a positive public image of the cinema, the PSU Film Committee, and the Portland State University.
Promotion & Communications: Website, Social Media & Other - 60%
The coordinator is responsible for promoting films and cinema activities to the campus and community. On a weekly to quarterly basis, this may require any combination of the following (or more): distributing printed materials and flyers on campus and around the community, consistently updating and maintaining social networking channels, updating and maintaining the cinema's website including blog posts, creating weekly online newsletter, writing weekly press releases, and collaborating across the university to promote the cinema and its films
Design & Printing - 20%
The candidate will be responsible for the graphic design and printing of 5th Avenue Cinema's promotional materials such as the quarterly film calendar and promotional posters.
Cinema Programming & Film Screenings - 20%
As part of the Film Committee, the Publicity Coordinator fulfills a weekly weekend shift at the cinema during the film screenings. Additionally, the candidate collaborates with the staff team in an inclusive decision-making process to establish quarterly and yearly programming and attendance goals.
· Cumulative PSU GPA 2.50 or higher for undergraduate students or 3.0 cumulative PSU GPA for graduate students
· Earn a 2.5 undergraduate GPA or 3.0 graduate GPA for each term enrolled
· Enrollment in and successful completion of a minimum of 6 undergraduate credits or 5 graduate credits per term (except summer)
The successful candidate's application will demonstrate:
· Proficiency in current design software (Adobe Creative Suite)
· Conceptual understanding of social media marketing and online community engagement
· Ability to articulate a thoughtful, critical approach to film as an art form and cultural artifact
· Experience with delivering superior customer service and cash handling
· Ability to foster community connections within the university
· Ability to work independently to accomplish projects and tasks
· Excellent communication skills and a serious commitment to maintaining an inclusive decision-making process
Bonus Skills & Interests (not required)
· Social media marketing experience
· Website administration experience
· Experience with inclusive decision-making processes
Please submit an application, cover letter, resume, design sample, and film statement online via OrgSync: https://orgsync.com/13101/forms/97957. For questions, please contact Matt Ellis, Cinema Coordinator at email@example.com. Priority review will be given to applications submitted by March 7, 2014.